Sunday, July 23, 2017

bug reporting - I've got Internal Error whilst running a Ubuntu Beta. How to gather information and find out what it is?


Today, I was running the Ubuntu Beta (Ubuntu 12.04) and it experienced an internal error.


I know I should file a bug report.


However, I want to go check more detailed in the log files, but where are they located on my system?


Although, i didn't enable core dump before. I just checked, there is no core dump file right now.



Bug reporting is something Ubuntu is seriously good at. When you see that dialog, Ubuntu has already collected all the relevant information for you, so all you need to do, is to click "Show Details".


You'll first see a dialog like this:


enter image description here


Or like this:


enter image description here


Then clicking 'Show Details' will display more details.


enter image description here


That will collect data from all the relevant files and if you click "Continue" while the checkbox is checked, you'll automatically upload it to Launchpad.net, which will scan for similar reports, allow you to add to an existing report or to create a new one.


Particularly during development, you might be told that you can't report bugs because you have software that is out of date.


No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...