Thursday, July 27, 2017

grub2 - How to remove graphical noise at ThinkPad boot splash?




I have installed KDE Neon (Ubuntu 18.04 with newer KDE backport ).
It works fine, but I have one small problem:



When I boot, I get the Thinkpad BIOS bootscreen:
Thinkpad Bios



And right afterwards, I get the below for a few seconds



bootsplash




Afterwards, the Plymouth slash screen appears, and everything boots as expected.



Now my question:



I want to know what the problem is.
I looked in dmesg, and found nothing extraordinary.



This seems to be in place of the kernel splash screen with the Tux icon, I presume.




  • A) What is causing this screen ?


  • B) Is this a kernel/driver or a plymouth malfunction ?

  • C) Is there a proper name for this pixel noise ?

  • D) If the log is not in dmesg, where is it ?

  • E) How can I get rid of it ?



Ah, figured it out myselfs.
For some hardware, it's necessary to set some kernel parameters, in order for the boot process to work correctly.



In this case, nomodeset.
It's called a corrupted splash screen.




To fix it, open /etc/default/grub, and add nomodeset to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT:



GRUB_DEFAULT=0
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
GRUB_TIMEOUT=5
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nomodeset"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""



and then, run:



sudo update-grub


If nomodeset creates bootup problems, alternatively just remove splash from GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT.


No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...