Friday, July 14, 2017

lubuntu - What do I need to install after minimal Xubuntu installation





I had an old and low-specced pc lying around and since there's no point selling it I decided to install linux on it just for fun :P It's a Toshiba Tecra 8000 (192MB RAM and 380MHz Pentium II) so I had to do a minimal installation. I installed xubuntu (and later realised I also needed xfce4 to have a desktop). My question is what else would I need to have a proper (but efficient) OS. I found some info here



Xubuntu desktop minimal installation



but I'd like to know what file manager and browser you'd recommend for these kind of specs.




Will xubuntu be usable or would lubuntu or another distro be better?



Thanks in advance, keep in mind there's no hurry as this is just a little side project.



Have a nice day! :D



Thunar which is the default file manager of xfce is pretty lightweight. For browsing the web Midori provides a minimal solution.


No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...