Wednesday, July 12, 2017

nvidia - 13.10 Saucy login issues; black screen, loop, and freeze

Once upgraded to 13.10 I was not able to get past the login screen. I had the black screen.
Also; I can not log on with low graphics mode from recovery either. It makes no difference if I try default graphics driver or not.



Then after running




sudo install -f




from recovery root prompt I got a login loop.




I have purged fglrx, fglrx-legacy, and nvidia-current. I updated my repository with xorg-edgers and reinstalled nvidia-current. Now it semi-freezes at the login screen when I try to log on as my normal user. I say 'semi' because I can still use my mouse to click on the upper right hand Ubuntu logo and Shut Down or Restart the PC.



I still cannot log on with my user name, but I can through the Guest login. While logged in as Guest I added a new user account with administrative privileges. I CAN log into this account without problem and from here am able to see that my .dmrc file in my original account reads:




[Desktop] Session=XBMC




I have changed 'Session=XBMC' to 'Session=ubuntu' and rebooted, but to no avail. The file resets itself and makes a backup of my changes.




Any help would be greatly appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...