Tuesday, July 4, 2017

dual boot - Installing Ubuntu on a second hard drive with data on it

So I've got 2 hard drives, a 128GB SSD, on which Windows 7 is installed, and a standard 1TB hard drive.



Now I want to install Ubuntu. The SSD has only got about 4GB of space left, and I don't really want to delete anything to make space for Ubuntu so I want to install it on the 1TB hard drive. I know that in order to do this I will have to change the boot order each time I want to switch OSes, but I don't really mind since I won't be using Ubuntu as much as Windows anyway. I've got a lot of data on the 1TB hard drive, about 850GB, but there should be enough for Ubuntu.



My question though, is if I can just make a new partition on this drive and install Ubuntu to it, without erasing any other data. If I can, can I, like I specified, also just change the OS I want to use by simply changing the boot order? Sorry if this has been asked before, but most of the answers I could find were about installing it to an empty second hard drive, whereas I would like to keep the data on mine.



Thanks in advance!

No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...