Friday, November 4, 2016

partitioning - Ubuntu on ThinkPad. Erase recovery partition and burn a recovery cd instead

I want to turn my dual-boot ThinkPad T400 winXP + ubuntu 12.10 into single Ubuntu machine, i.e. delete Windows and recovery partitions, and use all the disk space for Ubuntu.



Before doing so, I would like to create a recovery media (cd/dvd or backup to external hd). And here a problem starts.




Lenovo provides Rescue and Recovery software that makes possible to create recovery disk in Windows. However, I can not use it to create recovery cd because after installing Ubuntu the software does not see the recovery partition and can not copy the data to a cd.
I think it is related to this: http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Rescue_and_Recovery



The service partition is visible in Grub but it does not start when run (i guess it's the thing described in the link above). However, in Windows nor in Ubuntu the partition is not visible, and I do not know how to access it.



Does anyone have an idea what to do in order to create the recovery media and what things later have to be done when I would like to use it?



The best option for me would be if, I could also be able to create a Windows virtual machine form this recovery media. Any ideas?




Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...