Tuesday, November 15, 2016

system installation - Ubuntu server 14.04 (final release) doesn't boot



I just downloaded and installed Ubuntu server 14.04 on an embedded PC (AMD G-T40E dual-core processor, 4GB RAM, 30GB Intel SSD installed in the mini PCI-E slot). This same machine runs 12.04 just fine. I chose the 'use entire disk' option, and the installation process proceeds fine until complete and I'm prompted to reboot. Upon reboot, NOTHING shows up on the display and for a couple of seconds there is HDD activity, but still nothing appears on the screen.



I have run the install twice with the same result. Any idea on how to troubleshoot?



Here's how I finally got this to work: I went into the GRUB boot menu, chose Advanced Options and booted in Recovery Mode. Then I could see the boot process (no black screen) and logged in, edited /etc/default/grub and added the nomodeset param, and ran sudo update-grub and rebooted. I have no idea why modifying the GRUB boot options with the nomodeset param didn't cure the black screen issue.


No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...