Tuesday, November 22, 2016

mate - Ubuntu Minimal Install - No desktop environment?

Note: I installed Ubuntu Minimal because of a bug in (apparently) all *buntu 15.04, 14.04 and 14.10 versions which cause the installer to hang when installing on my system before the partitioning stage... See these questions...



Example: Installation hangs up on 14.04




But I am not running on a laptop and that question did not help fix that problem, so I resorted to the minimal (text based) install.





I have installed Ubuntu using the Ubuntu Minimal Install image (~40MB) on a USB disk.



When I boot my computer I get the message on tty7 (CTRL+ALT+F7)



starting version 219



That's it, there's nothing else there. (What does this message mean?)



I figured there was no desktop environment, since one wasn't specified during the install process. (I'm sure the installed used to ask for a desktop environment option? Has this been removed from the install process?)



So I ran



sudo apt-get install mate-core
sudo reboot



Still nothing, same message appears. I can log into any of the other tty's, but if I run startx, I get the error:



The program `startx` is not currently installed. ... install package xinit


Do I want to install xinit? Or do I need to install mdm service or something?



Graphics card is a GTX 260 although I don't think this is of any relevance.




The question tagged as a duplicate is of no relevance to me. I acquired this problem through a completely different set of steps. (This is a new install, not a replacement of 1 desktop environment with another.) In addition, the fault is not "that I see this message" the fault is that I don't have a desktop environment. My question about starting version 219 is merely something I happen to be interested in.





I believe I have no desktop manager installed? The file /etc/X11/default-desktop-manager does not exist. How can I fix this?





Okay so I might be breaking my system now... but I tried:




sudo apt-get install mdm


Because I figured I need a display manager of some sort. (Not sure what it is or does, but it's probably important.)



This didn't seem to help, so I then tried:



sudo apt-get install xinit



Which installed a vast number of packages.



I now have a desktop environment, but it's broken. When I run startx I get a desktop environment... but it looks like the 1990's linux desktop environments. (That sort of blocky grey everything.) I think this might be a fallback desktop environment for when you screw up your mate/gnome/unity/kde one?



What should I do now?

No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...