Friday, November 18, 2016

How to search for specific lines in Linux?


I recently received an error telling me that there was a problem on line 52. I am trying to learn what the best method is for finding lines instead of actually counting them.


In Windows, I often used Notepad++ which displayed the lines directly to the left, so users could easily scroll to the specific line they were looking for -- However I do not see this option in Linux.


Maybe a certain application is needed?




UPDATE: I currently can not open software-store and the only text editor I have is the default nano and gedit. So please restrict your answers to solutions that don't involve me installing software.


**NOTE: ** I am not looking to find a 'String' of some sort. I am looking to quickly find the line NUMBER that the string appears on.



If you're looking for a GUI approach, you can display line numbers in the default text editor, gedit. To do this, go to Edit -> Preferences and tick the box that says "Display line numbers."


You can also jump to a specific line number by using Ctrl+I.


No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...