Tuesday, November 22, 2016

canonical - Why doesn't gnome-software show available software?

Why doesn't gnome-software show all available software from my repositories?



In other words, is gnome-software restricted in some way by Canonical from listing all available software packages? If so, which software is restricted and which software is allowed? Also, when was this change made and why was this change made?



(Note, I'm not looking for a technical solution).



I've looked at similar questions, but I don't see a clear answer to my question.




GNOME Software shows less programs than Ubuntu Software Center



Ubuntu 16.04 software center doesn't have many apps



The GNOME Software center shows few apps



Here are a couple of example applications that are not available in gnome-software:





  • torcs

  • trigger-rally



But a command-line search with apt shows these applications are actually available to install:



apt search ^torcs$
Sorting... Done
Full Text Search... Done
torcs/disco 1.3.7+dfsg-4 amd64

3D racing cars simulator game using OpenGL

apt search ^trigger-rally$
Sorting... Done
Full Text Search... Done
trigger-rally/disco 0.6.6+dfsg-2 amd64
free 3D rally racing car game

No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...