Tuesday, November 15, 2016

partitioning - Ubuntu 18.04 LTS Disk Partition Recomendations




I upgraded to Ubuntu 18.04 LTS and my disk partition is the following picture.



enter image description here



I want to have partition now. I booted with Ubuntu 16.04 LTS CD. I need help to get proper disk partition without having any problem. Thanks



Ubuntu 18.04 defaults to using a swap file instead of the previous method of having a dedicated swap partition. This makes it easier to partition new installations of 18.04 than it was before.




Assuming you are going to do a fresh installation of 18.04, and also assuming you aren't trying to dual-boot with this same drive, here's what you should do:




  1. Boot to a Ubuntu 18.04 installer (probably using a usb drive)


  2. Delete the three existing partitions from your hard drive: /dev/sda1, /dev/sda2, and /dev/sda3.


  3. Create one new partition, /dev/sda1, that uses all the available space. Make the new partition primary (not extended), format it as ext4, and have it mount the root of the system (/).


  4. Install ubuntu, selecting to put the bootloader on /dev/sda



No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...