Tuesday, November 22, 2016

apt - How do I manage installed software on Ubuntu 16.04?

I have been using Ubuntu 16.04 for a few weeks. The one area I can't get a grasp of is how to manage the software (and the dependencies which comes with software) I have installed.



So, over the last few weeks I have been installing programs via the software center and through the terminal (mostly when following internet guides when a basic install doesn't work)



These guides usually say 'enter this code to your terminal, and then this code, etc' to install.



Once I've installed software and any dependencies how do I know if they are in use and how can I remove them if no longer needed?



I have installed Synaptic Package Manager which I thought would answer my questions and I see this shows me all packages available to me and I can filter by 'installed' - but I don't know what 99% of those are or do.




If I filter by 'Installed (local or obsolete)' I see a few (but definately not all) of what I have installed myself.



Example: I have installed Oracle Virtual Box, this doesn't appear in the Software Center nor from what I can see in Synaptic.



Basically all I am looking to do is ensure I have a list of software I have installed and remove this software when it's no longer needed.



From a Windows standpoint I can do that via Control Panel > Programs.



I understand Linux is a totally different animal - any help on this much appreciated, other than this issue I am looking to move across to Ubuntu full time (albeit with a virtual Windows machine for Photoshop)

No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...