Saturday, November 12, 2016

boot - Grub2 showing two Windows 7 loaders


I had an issue with Windows 7 and had to reinstall and it overwrote grub.
I used a live disk and boot repair to reinstall grub. However it now shows
two 'Windows 7 Loaders'



Generating grub configuration file ...
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-4.4.0-53-generic


Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-4.4.0-53-generic


Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-4.4.0-51-generic


Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-4.4.0-51-generic


Found Windows 7 (loader) on /dev/sda1


Found Windows 7 (loader) on /dev/sda2



I have not seen this before and wanted to ask for advice such as if this could lead to future problems. I assume the sda1 is the Windows rescue partition but am not sure. I seem to recall that a chainloader is used in grub to boot Windows and so perhaps this is the way it represents it. I do not remember the proper Linux way to interrogate this.
Thank you.



I wouldn't worry about it. It won't lead to future problems just existing. A chainloader is used in grub to boot windows, grub just passes control to the windows bootloader to boot windows. Just use either one to boot into Windows when you need to, and don't touch it. The windows bootloader somehow accidentally installed to two partitions for some reason.


No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...