Saturday, November 12, 2016

grub2 - GRUB disappeared after recent Ubuntu 12/Win7 install?

I recently installed Win7 and Ubuntu 12 on a new build.



Installed windows first, as recommended, and then Ubuntu on the remaining unused drive space.



Everything was working fine, grub allowed me to dual boot properly. Until this morning - switched the machine on, and it booted into windows - no grub.




I'm wondering if a recent windows update may have overwritten the MBR?



So..




  • What's most likely to have caused this?

  • How do I get grub back?

  • How do I stop it happening again in the future?




Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...