Sunday, November 13, 2016

partitioning - How to create primary partition after having an extended one?




I have installed Ubuntu 14.04 and formatted the hard drive by creating swap, root and home partitions. Their total volume is 32 GB all together. So I logged on to the system, installed GParted and run it to partition the rest of the hard disks space. But what I see is that swap is on /dev/sda1 and the two other partitions (root and home) are located on /dev/sda2 .
I am so afraid to create a new partition since GParted only offers the choice of creating a primary one only. Should I dare to create a new partition (with the conditions told) and format it? Where can I see a complete reference on partitioning disks?



It looks like /deb/sda2 is an extended partition.



It can contain multiple logical partitions.



In your case you can increase size of /dev/sda2 and create some more logical partitions in it, or create a new primary partition.




You need to consider that you can have only one extended partition and no more than 4 primary partitions (including extended).


No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...