Monday, November 4, 2019

command line - How do I uninstall USB wireless divers that didn't work?

Computer/OS stats:




  • Old (5 yrs?) Dell desktop computer

  • Ubuntu 12.04 is the ONLY OS installed

  • Mem: 1.5GiB

  • Processor: Intel Pentium 4 2.8GHz

  • OS type: 32 bit

  • Disk: 37.8GB




Background info



I moved my desktop into another room without access to the ethernet cord I previously was using. I was hoping it would be a simple thing to get a wireless card to access the internet with this computer, but it has been difficult and I haven't had success yet.



I tried 3 different wireless USB adapters; unfortunately, I can't remember all of the details of those 3 because I already returned them to the store since I couldn't get them to work. I know that the companies were Belkin, Linksys and Netgear. I was trying to use the instructions on this and other various sites to download drivers, using the program (WINE), but honestly I am a complete newbie at all of this and didn't know what I was doing (I still don't), so I don't know exactly what I installed or where it is.



I finally returned them all of the failed-attempt wireless cards to the store and ordered a D-Link Wireless N Nano USB adapter online, after I had originally looked for the USB wireless adapters from this site: https://www.thinkpenguin.com/catalog/wireless-networking-gnulinux



Unfortunately, I think Amazon sent me the wrong one because the D-Link I have in front of my says nothing about being compatible with Linux; so I'm probably going to send it back and try again for a Linux supported wireless USB adapter (what I THOUGHT I ordered from Amazon).




Question



the latest wireless router instructs me to uninstall all previous related programs. Since I installed them using the Ctrl+Alt+T and didn't know what I was doing, I cannot find them to uninstall them with the USC. I tried the command:



apt-get --purge remove linksye


as well as other possible program names, but I don't even know what the actual program names were. I don't know how to find them, either.




So my guess is I need to:




  1. Find out what the names of the 3 programs were

  2. Uninstall them - all using the Terminal



I have no idea how to do this. Help please?

No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...