Sunday, November 17, 2019

uefi - How to install linux on a computer with GPT?

I recently installed Windows 7 on a computer. Left a partition to install linux. Today when I tried to install linux, the installer (of two distros that I tried) failed to recognise the already present partitions. It just shows it as one big unallocated space. However fdisk recognised them just fine.



Turns out I have a GUID partition table. So the installers don't recognise it.



I can boot both into UEFI mode and legacy BIOS mode. If I boot into UEFI mode, I can't boot into any OS, whether it is the installed Windows 7 or Ubuntu or any other linux DVD. It just shows a Operating System not found error. It only boots into the Windows 8 that came preinstalled in the laptop in the UEFI mode. I also have Secure boot disabled.



While installing Windows 7 I booted into legacy BIOS mode.




Can anybody please tell me how I can install Linux on a computer with GPT? I don't want to reformat the whole drive and start fresh with new partition table.

No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...