Saturday, November 16, 2019

16.04 - How can I fix my broken package manager? "software index is broken"

I am using Ubuntu 16.04. How can I fix the following issue?



IMG:



Software index is broken

This is a major failure of your software management system.
Please check for broken packages with synaptic, check the file

permissions and correctness of the file '/etc/apt/sources.list' and
reload the software information with: 'sudo apt-get update' and
'sudo apt-get install -f'.


In addition to this error I'm also still getting the same error in the terminal as I got while trying to install an .rpm package in my previous question: Restoring system for a crashed installation. I also got an error message about an obsolete PPA and another xenial repository that can't be authenticated.



I can't install any packages at all. I can't use apt-get, can't use gebi installer, and I can't even open the Synaptic package manager.

No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...