Friday, November 22, 2019

upgrade - How can I fix my gnome desktop / X server in Ubuntu 13.10

I have been struggling with this since yesterday evening:
I upgraded from 12.04 to 13.10 in steps using



do-release-upgrade



Since the last upgrade I got the "Low graphics mode" screen with the options which I cannot select because the mouse is gone and selecting with keyboard did not seem to work on that screen either.
I got out of there by switching to TTY1.



Trying to fix the problem I have installed graphics drivers from AMD I had already downloaded previously. When this did not fix the problem I just did



apt-get install --reinstall fglrx


This did not help so I started messing with my desktop environments. I read somewhere to try reinstalling gdm but than I set that as default over lightdm which I was obviously using and then things got really fishy.




I never got the low graphics mode screen again but only terminal. after installing gnome-session-fallback I had a graphical loading screen again on boot but this crashes and shows terminal login.
I moved all my logs out of the default dir so I could see only the new ones. X.org shows some EE (error) that no compatible graphics card was found.



I have ATI Mobility Radeon 4570 in my laptop. As I said before I have tried installing the latest drivers.



Can anyone help me troubleshoot this problem further?

No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...