Friday, November 8, 2019

dual boot - fixing grub after removing linux


I had installed Ubuntu on a friend's computer. It had two drives - C and D, so I took D (which didn't include the system) and reformatted it with Ubuntu.


After a week he has asked me to remove it. So in Windows, I used the partition manager to reformat the Ubuntu partition as a ntfs drive for windows. I then forgot about grub, and sometime later, after a restart, my friend was stuck with grub rescue.


I do not have any Windows CD at hand... What's the best way to fix this? (I've found many suggestions, but most of them fix it through ubuntu, which in this case isn't relevant because I removed Ubuntu).


Thoughts?



Do a search on the internet for the correct version of windows that he is using and find the MSDN iso for that version.


There are links online from digital rivers for the untouched iso directly from microsoft. burn the iso or create a usb drive. Boot from the dvd, usb and select the repair installation option.


I am not sure if I can post links on this site but if you do a google search you can find the iso you need.


No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...