Wednesday, November 2, 2016

dual boot - Lost Windows 7 in GRUB after installing Ubuntu 14.04



So today I've decided install the new 14.04 (64bit) on top of the 13.10 (32bit) Ubuntu that I used to have dual boot with Win 7. So it gave me number of options to install the 14.04, one of them was to re-install Ubuntu without loosing my files and applications (where is possible). And when the process of the installation finished I was prompted to restart as usual, but this time the GRUB menu doesn't showed up to let me choose if I'd boot with Windows or Ubuntu, and it boots only with Ubuntu now. I've checked the partitions with Gparted and the Win7 is still there.



So, is there a way to make GRUB see the both OS again, and how?



Thank you in advance !



Booted from live USB with the version on my Ubuntu which is installed on my PC and installed Boot Repair by entering the following commands in terminal:




sudo add-apt-repository ppa:yannubuntu/boot-repair
sudo sed 's/trusty/saucy/g' -i /etc/apt/sources.list.d/yannubuntu-boot-repair-trusty.list
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install -y boot-repair && (boot-repair &)


I've runned the Recommended repair, and followed the commands it gave me for terminal, and when it finished and restarted it still booted with Ubuntu only. Than I run Boot Repair again and after the program is done checking the problems, clicked on "Advanced options"-Boot Location tab.
Bellow where there is a drop down menu against "OS to boot by default:" there was Ubuntu 14.04 and Windows 7, so I choose Windows 7 and than 'Apply'. When the process has finished I restarted and the GRUB now had the option to let me choose if want to boot with Ubuntu or Windows again. SOLVED




Hope it works for you as well !!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...