Saturday, November 5, 2016

apt - Add binary to ubuntu applications when no install or configure folder in tar.gz

I am on Ubuntu 17.10 I have downloaded a program for Linux, unzipped it and found it has no README, INSTALL or config folder. Hence, to make it runnable from the prompt I followed this: Install tar.gz , but no configure folder on install file


What I would like also to do, however, is to associate some extensions to the binary that I installed. As you would do by right-clicking on an extension, select "Open With Other Application" and selecting the app to run it. Unfortunately, the app I have installed is not listed in Ubuntt's list of applications.


Is there any way in which I can make the binary run every time I double-click on a file with a particular extension?


Bonus: may I have the app popping up in the GNOME app menu? (as if it was installed from the Software center or apt-get)


The program is Gephi (v 0.9.2)

No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...