Sunday, November 3, 2019

Unable to Boot to Either System After Dual Boot Install

I just performed a clean dual boot install on an HP laptop that came with Windows 8. The install said it had completed successfully, but when I restart the machine, or power down and power back up, it boots straight into Windows 8 rather than giving me the boot options. I feel like I missed something obvious here. I did check the side by side install, the drive was partitioned during install, and, as I said, the install finished properly. I've probably done a dozen of these dual boot installs and I've never run into this issue before. Any insight would be appreciated.



* UPDATE *



Something went tragically wrong with EASYBCD and I am now no longer able to boot into either Windows or Linux. Windows no longer appears as an option at boot, and Linux still comes up as OS Not Usuable. In short, the only thing I can boot to is the Linux Live USB that I used for the install. I tried boot-repair, and while it said it was successful it changed absolutely nothing. The URL for the boot-repair report is




http://paste.ubuntu.com/11047074



One further edit which may clarify some things. Running boot-repair from the live usb only loads the linux partition. In short, it doesn't even see the Windows partition and, as a result, no MBR options are available. It is only trying to fix grub, when the issue at least right now is getting Windows to boot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...