Saturday, November 2, 2019

system installation - How to install Ubuntu Server without network connection?

I haven't installed Ubuntu from a disc/usb in ages. At least 2 LTS versions. I have always just upgraded my server in place. I purchased new hardware that will replace that older server and instead of just moving the LVM over from the old server I've decided to start fresh.


My normal procedure for fresh server installs is:



  1. Install from CD/USB without network connection

  2. Log in, attach network, install some base packages that are not there by default

  3. sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade to kick off the massive download

  4. Continue to setup server while (3) completes


This normally results in about 15 minutes of me waiting for the server to install offline, followed by a much longer period where the updates download and install but at least by that point I can start using the server.


With the 13.10 server image that I just pulled down via torrent I cannot seem to find a way to install without a functional network connection. I've attempted Normal. Minimal, and OEM install modes and in each one I cannot get past the network setup. When autoconfiguration fails because no network is present, I select configure network later and it still prompts me for an Ubuntu mirror server. Until it can connect to that server it will not progress.


This disrupts my workflow and makes isolated network installs impossible. What gives?

No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...