Saturday, December 22, 2018

package management - Expanding APT-GET Repositories



Wow, I'm here posting about Linux. Never thought I'd see the day, but I've been shown the light by a smart guy and a few VMs and man pages later and her I am.



I think I've managed to get my Ubuntu VM to punch through the company proxy to get out to the net (I've used CURL to download Valgrind) and now I want to stretch my legs with APT-GET a bit. I thought something fun to do would be install Nethack, surely its in an APT repository. I've looked into the SOURCES file to see the repositories I can reference.. what is the universe/multiverse business? Who is Wily Werewolf and am I looking at his repositories? Where can I find more repositories to stick in there, specifically one hosting a Nethack (tiles version please, I can't do the ASCII) so then I can use APT-GET and pull it down?



If you are after the X11 version of nethack simply run:




sudo apt-get install nethack-x11


And then the glory of this old game will be revealed, as installed on my system:



enter image description here



No fiddling with repositories here, it is in the Universe Repositories which should be activated my default on your system...


No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...