Sunday, December 16, 2018

kubuntu - Admin Account Missing after 'shutdown now' Exit

So, I have been learning PostgreSQL and messing around with creating DB's, users, and switching between both with Konsole. Last night, I shut down the computer with the command 'shutdown now'. After a while, the session appeared to have logged out and hung at a blank, black screen. After viewing this for a few moments, I think that something is wrong and go to turn off the computer using a hard shutdown. Once holding the power button for a second or two, I see the Kubuntu splash back on the screen, but by the time I let go of the power button, the computer is off.



Okay, flash-forward to this morning - I start the computer and the only login option available is Guest. My user account is simply not visible, only Guest. In 'User and Group Settings' my admin account is still there. I'm guessing that all of my files are still in '/home', but I cannot access the directory as guest. I cannot 'su' into my user either.



OH! Also, I have no grub screen.
I accidentaly deleted a small partition that I believe belonged to Windows 8.1 while resizing for the Manjaro distro (which I started with a few weeks ago). That no longer allowed me to see my Windows partition on the grub screen. Then, when I deleted my Manjaro partition completely and moved to Kubuntu for better support/documentation/linux-noob-friendliness, the grub screen was completely gone.



How do I get access back to my admin account? I am doing a project for and need to be familiar with SQL/PostgreSQL in a few months, so I would like to get back to my learning endeavors.



Thank you all for your time and effort!

No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...