Thursday, December 20, 2018

14.04 - How to install the proprietary AMD graphic driver(fglrx) correctly via the AMD website?


This question currently aims to describe how to install the proprietary drivers for AMD graphic cards from the AMD website. Refer to this question for other ways to install it. Please don't get misled by the description below.



The question here was actually this :


How to backup all software(include ones not installed from Software centre) including proprietary graphics drivers?


This was the description provided when the immediately above question was there:


I am using Ubuntu 12.10. I want to move on to 13.10(the latest version of Ubuntu, I suppose). But it seems upgrading takes lot of time. So I want to do a fresh install of 13.10. If I do that I will be losing all the software and settings(as you know). So I have to backup all software including the non-software-centre ones. I dont know how to do that(I have never backed up before). I also want to backup my fglrx driver for my ATI Radeon 5570 HD graphic card because when I first installed 12.10 I had to undergo some pain getting that driver to work(by following the steps here: Can't install ATI proprietary drivers in 12.10 ) and I dont want to undergo that again. So help please!!
(P.S: I am a complete amateur. I have just been introduced to and been using Ubuntu for just 3 months. So please give easy to understand explanation(i.e) dont get too technical)


By the comments provided below and by my experience I was able to learn a correct way to install the AMD graphic card driver. Therefore to help future vistors the question above was changed. The answer below(by myself) answers the current question.

No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...