Monday, December 17, 2018

drivers - Graphics on 4K Sager NP8651 (Clevo P650SE NVIDIA GTX970M + Intel 4600HD) Can't Change Resolution

I recently purchased a Sager NP8651 with both NVIDIA 970M and an Intel 4600HD on the Haswell chip. By default, the Nouveau drivers are loaded (no hardware found in Additional Drivers). I have tried installing xorg-video-intel, nvidia-304, nvidia-330, nvidia-340, nvidia-346 after blacklisting Nouveau in the grub configuration with no luck. I also installed the driver manually from the Nvidia website. This issue persists on Ubuntu 14.04 and 14.10.


The driver never gets loaded properly. /var/log/X.log.0 indicates that No device was detected after loading the driver. Prior to creating /etc/X11/xorg.conf with nvidia-xconfig, the default resolution is 4K which is very difficult to use without increasing the DPI and font which causes visual defects in many programs. I would prefer to use 2048x1152 or 1920x1080 by default. Only one resolution is available (3840 x 2160) which is listed at 0.0 Hz for some reason and xrandr is unable to add new resolutions.


I would be content disabling the Nvidia driver entirely or using Nouveau if I could just change the resolution. With no xorg.conf configuration in, (with or without Nvidia driver installed) video playback will work smoothly for a few minutes beforing crashing the X server (and Ctrl+Alt+Fn key no longer respond; the only option I found is to reset power).


Once xorg.conf is generated by nvidia-xconfig, the only resolutions available are 800x600 and 640x480. nvidia-settings indicates the driver is not loaded and xrandr is still unable to create new resolutions. Could there be a configuration conflict with the Intel driver?

No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...