Monday, December 17, 2018

kubuntu - kstart detailed description

I'm having trouble getting kstart to work properly, so I'm looking for a much more detailed description of its behavior than what I can get from its manpage. Although the manpage describes all the parameters, all it says about its general functioning is "Utility to launch applications with special window properties." For instance, when does the calling shell regain control -- immediately or after some other actions are performed? What if any is the difference in behavior between kstart and kstart &?



I want to use kstart to start firefox, konsole, and kmail in desktops 1, 2, and 3 upon startup. (I'm running Kubuntu 14.10.) I tried including this as a startup script:




kstart --desktop 1 firefox
kstart --desktop 2 konsole
kstart --desktop 3 kmail


(I used System Setup/Autostart to install it.) The result was that my system hung solidly. So I tried this instead:



#! /bin/sh
kstart --desktop 1 firefox &

kstart --desktop 2 konsole &
kstart --desktop 3 kmail &
exit


I tried several other variations, most of which did not hang but nonetheless put all three programs onto the same desktop.



How can I get kstart to behave itself?

No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...