Tuesday, December 25, 2018

boot - Windows option just reloads grub bootloader after updating to Ubuntu 19.10


I updated to Ubuntu 19.10 from 19.04. After updating, ubuntu booted alright. The grub bootloader shows option for ubuntu and windows as it was before updating. But now, when I select windows option, it just reloads the grub bootloader.
I tried boot-repair and many other things but nothing worked. Please help me.


Here is the paste from boot-repair :- https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/2R4mxMJvxg/



First you need to change your boot order to Windows instead of Grub. To find out the key to press during boot to bring up the BIOS menu see:


Ignore the part about selecting device boot order, you want to change the UEFI boot order and move Windows to the top.


Then the instructions on boot-repair report tell you to boot into Windows and then:



For example you can boot into Windows, then type the following command in an admin command prompt:
bcdedit /set {bootmgr} path \EFI\ubuntu\shimx64.efi


Do this from Windows and then if it doesn't work revise your question with current status / new issues.


Also note boot-repair created 5 entries to boot Windows but in my experience they won't all work. After you fix the booting issues see this answer:


No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...