Sunday, November 12, 2017

grub2 - Unable to fix GRUB for dual-boot after BIOS update (using boot-repair)




After my latest update of BIOS (while using Windows) my grub menu went missing.
Previously, I was able to repair GRUB menu this way:




  • Booting into Windows

  • Going to Advanced Startup options

  • Selecting my Ubuntu partition there

  • Getting advanced restart -> Seeing my GRUB menu.




Then, I was able to select Ubuntu OS, log in, run boot-repair and get my GRUB menu back.



However, this time when I try to run this command:



sudo apt-get purge -y --force-yes grub* shim-signed linux-signed*


(as boot-repair recommends me), I get an error:



E: Unable to locate package grub-reinstall_programs



So, I can't purge my GRUB and repair its menu... I have no idea how to fix this error and not to mess up with it even more. Please, help!



Additional info:
I have Ubuntu 14.04 and a pre-installed Windows 8.1 on my PC.



in the command, replace grub* by grub-common. The error should disappear.


No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...