Friday, November 24, 2017

Login on 14.04 keeps taking me back to login

I can't login to Ubuntu anymore. When I enter my password correctly, the screen goes blank for a split-second, then comes right back to the login screen. Even if I sign in as a guest, the same thing happens.




I'm using Ubuntu 14.04 LTS on ASUS ROG G751 series G751JT-DH72 gaming laptop, with Nvidia GTX 970M video card. FWIW, I had to manually install the video card driver from the Internet about a week ago. (But was able to log in many times this week with no problem until now.)



I found these questions: Login goes back to login screen, Can't login to Ubuntu 14.04 after upgrade, Can't login to Ubuntu anymore



And the only commands I tried are:



sudo chown 777 .Xauthority



sudo chmod -R ug+rwx /home/[username] (yes, I know giving execute permissions to everything in my home directory was unnecessary, but oh well... xD)




And neither worked. Exact same thing keeps happening. I'm now hesitant to try anything else until you guys can see my pastebin (http://paste.ubuntu.com/11842315/) and hopefully help me figure out what the problem may be in my specific case. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...