Tuesday, November 21, 2017

configuration - Where are gedit's preferences?


This is incredibly weird. I don't see "preferences" in any of my gedit menus. I'm running Version 3.8.3. All I want to do is show line numbers, but I can't do that without preferences.


Where the heck are they hiding?


note: I did remove indicator-appmenus because I dislike having the menus detached from the window.


2015 Update: somehow this is being flagged as a dupe of Enable line numbers in gedit which is a little confusing. The solution is the same but the questions are different.



I'm not sure how to get preferences back in your menus, but you can use gsettings to display line numbers. Enter this command into the terminal:


gsettings set org.gnome.gedit.preferences.editor display-line-numbers true

In case you need to change other settings for gedit, you can use this command to find quite a few that are available: (thanks to this answer)


gsettings list-recursively | grep -i gedit

No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...