Thursday, November 9, 2017

custom distributions - How do you convert a customized ubuntu installation into a distro?

I've been thinking of making a Linux distro (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like Ubuntu) for some fun and gaining knowledge. I'm thinking of starting small and basing it off Ubuntu with the Mate Desktop Environment (which I will highly customize). I will also make my own theme which I will draw from scratch (windows borders, background set, icons, mouse, menu bars, buttons etc...


It will only include programs in the "program launcher/start menu" that I have made myself with the mono framework except for maybe the Ubuntu software centre. I've heard Linux mint or Ubuntu comes with a live usb maker that converts your customized Ubuntu/Linux mint into a distro or something but I don't know if that's the proper way to make a distro or if it exists/is what I think it is.


Anyway any help on how to convert a modified version of Ubuntu on my computer into an actual distro that I can upload online for people to download and install onto their computer would be very useful. Does a program that does this automatically for you exist? Does it simply make an iso image or is the process more complicated?

No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...