Thursday, November 9, 2017

apt - Trying to install xfce4 on Ubuntu server 18.04.1

I've been a long time user of xubuntu and finally bit the bullet and installed the server version as I am running this PC mainly for fileserver and streaming purposes.


That said, I'm trying to install xfce4 as the GUI, but even though every webpage states just use apt-get or just apt install xfce4 am met with the following:



Reading package list... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: unable to locate package xfce4



This seems to be the same for any files pertaining to xubuntu.
I'm guessing there may be something lacking in my resources list,


But if this is the case....why do so many webpages just advise to install xfce4 and then lightdm??


I'm a stubborn @#£11!! and have no intention to go back to an xubuntu install as it takes an age to remove all the shash I don't want, so would rather get it right first time...

No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...