Saturday, December 3, 2016

grub2 - Restore Windows 10 boot option in Grub Bootloader

I've been running Windows 10 and Ubuntu 16.04 next to eachother for quite a while. I could boot into either OS with Grub bootloader. Unfortunatly my Windows 10 install broke and I needed to reinstall it.


After reinstalling Windows 10 I could not boot into it anymore with Grub bootloader. So I ran used my bootable Windows USB to execute the following commands to regain acces to Windows:


bootrec.exe /fixmbr
bootrec.exe /fixboot
bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd

After that I've used easyBCD to create a new Bootloader menu for Windows 10 and Ubuntu. This got it kind of working again. What I have to do now is to use Windows 10 boot menu to select either Windows 10 or Ubuntu, if I choose Windows 10 it sends me straight into the OS. If I choose Ubuntu however I get send to Grub bootloader with the broken link(?) to my old(?) Windows 10. And selecting Ubuntu boots me into the Ubuntu OS.


What I would like to achieve is that I have everything under the Grub Bootloader again but
I'm very confused to what is happening here, so I was hopefull somone could help me out here.


Here are my current partitions: enter image description here


Edit: It seems like Grub Customizer is removing /etc/grub.d/40_custom when I try saving in Grub Customizer. When I add those lines in the original file and save it there, the boot option won't show in Grub Customizer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...