Thursday, September 15, 2016

unity - Ubuntu 16.04 install no desktop icons, blank desktop (just wallpaper), tried to reinstall compiz

I'm new to Ubuntu so go easy on me. I've heard great feedback and support from these forums so I'm crossing my fingers.



I booted ubuntu 16.04 on my new custom build pc, I went through all the installation steps and rebooted my system.




However, when i get to the log in screen, i enter my password and the desktop then flashes quickly, briefly seeing the Ubuntu logo and its version and then parts of the desktop template fade away and I am just left with the desktop wallpaper and the mouse, nothing else, no other options.



I can open terminal with ctrl + alt + 1 and I have tried various commands to fix the issue after reading the threads here, especially this one Ubuntu 16.04 Unity No desktop just background wallpaper
I get the line 'compizconfig-settings-manager' has no installation candidate so that's no good



I feel like the video drivers may be an issue and i need to update them but the command line says everything is updated.



Can anyone help me with this I am very stuck and need a working computer ASAP.
Much thanks to anyone.
Here is my pc build:

MSI GTX 970
Intel I5 6600k
Asus z170 Deluxe MB
Samsung 950 PRO SSD

No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...