Sunday, September 18, 2016

Windows doesn't boot from grub after installing on second drive

I'm on a Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga s1 running Ubuntu 15.10.



Just yesterday I installed a second SSD in my laptop. I removed the main drive with Ubuntu, installed Windows 10 onto the second drive, then reinserted the main drive and ran sudo update-grub. When I rebooted, I saw both Ubuntu and Windows 10, but now when I boot into Windows I'm stuck on a purple screen.



What's weird is that if I load BIOS and select which drive to boot from, I can access Windows through grub just fine. But when I change the boot order to prioritize either the main or secondary drive I get the same issue (related note, should Windows Boot Loader be listed very high up in the boot order?).



I've downloaded and used the boot-repair utility, and I've also ran some commands within the grub console with no luck.



For reference, here is the boot-repair pastebin: http://paste.ubuntu.com/14473911/




One solution I've found recommends booting into Windows and running bootrec/fixmbr and bootrec/fixboot, but it seems like these commands will replace grub, and I don't want to lose access to Ubuntu.



Any ideas on what I could do to be able to load Windows from grub without selecting the right disk from BIOS?



Quick update:
If I load BIOS at all and then boot to Windows it works fine. Otherwise if I just turn on my computer and select Windows, I get the purple screen.





The fix I found was to disable quick-booting in windows. It's listed right in the pastebin that windows 10 was in an unsafe state and could not be booted, and to disable quick-boot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...