Monday, September 19, 2016

12.04 - Need to install ubuntu on UEFI windows 8 pc



I have a very cheap Acer E1 series that is fairly new. I want to erase Windows completely from this laptop and put only Ubuntu 32 bit on it. I see that the BIOS is UEFI and there can be some issues in installing Ubuntu. So, I want to educate myself properly before I try this.




Is there a well tested guide for installing Ubuntu over Windows 8, in a UEFI laptop? I don't want dual boot. I want Windows off my laptop. Also, I might install more flavors of Linux alongside Ubuntu later.



Because you have 4GB RAM in your Acer E1 laptop, and fast RAM (1600.0 MHz) at that, you will get better performance if you install the 64-bit Ubuntu instead of the 32-bit Ubuntu. Almost all of the apps that you can find are available for the 64-bit architecture, so there is no reason to select the 32-bit version of Ubuntu for the sake of application compatibility.



The canonical question for installing Ubuntu on a Windows 8 PC is: Installing Ubuntu on a Pre-Installed Windows 8 (64-bit) System (UEFI Supported).


No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...