Sunday, September 25, 2016

graphics - Installed Bumblebee... how do I get Unity 3D running on Nvidia?

I installed Bumblebee following the instructions on the wiki: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bumblebee#Installation


It is working! I checked out glxspheres and then optirun glxspheres, and I got 55fps and 133fps respectively. Hot.


I also got the "Unity 3D" Ubuntu interface working after I installed Bumblebee. However, here's the output of /usr/lib/nux/unity_support_test -p:



adityamenon@jaguar:~$ /usr/lib/nux/unity_support_test -p
OpenGL vendor string: Intel Open Source Technology Center
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Sandybridge Mobile x86/MMX/SSE2
OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 9.0.3
Not software rendered: yes
Not blacklisted: yes
GLX fbconfig: yes
GLX texture from pixmap: yes
GL npot or rect textures: yes
GL vertex program: yes
GL fragment program: yes
GL vertex buffer object: yes
GL framebuffer object: yes
GL version is 1.4+: yes
Unity 3D supported: yes

So it appears I'm still on the Intel card for my 3D-effects interface. I'm sure running on the nVidia card instead would make the experience faster... how do I do that?


This is my laptop: http://www.samsung.com/in/support/model/NP300V5A-S0CIN-techspecs


Pertinent specs being:



Processor Intel® Core™ i7 Processor2670QM (2.20GHz, 6MB L3 Cache)
Graphic Processor NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 520MX Graphics, Optimus™ technology
Main Chipset Intel HM65

EDIT: Just read this question from the sidebar: Can I set my Optimus Nvidia card to run Unity3D with bumblebee?


I didn't think of optirun /usr/lib/nux/unity_support_test -p... so I did that, and here's the output:



OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce GT 520MX/PCIe/SSE2
OpenGL version string: 4.2.0 NVIDIA 304.88
Not software rendered: yes
Not blacklisted: yes
GLX fbconfig: yes
GLX texture from pixmap: no
GL npot or rect textures: yes
GL vertex program: yes
GL fragment program: yes
GL vertex buffer object: yes
GL framebuffer object: yes
GL version is 1.4+: yes
Unity 3D supported: no

So unfortunately, it says Unity 3D isn't supported on this... the answers on the other question only advise selling this laptop and buying a new one with discrete graphics :D Is there any other way?

No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...