Tuesday, September 27, 2016

gnome - Freeze after login Ubuntu 18.04


Before the upgrade I was using gnome on Ubuntu 16.04 with lightdm and it worked fine. After upgrading to Ubuntu 18.04 I switched to gnome gdm3. On the first day I could login to my user account, configure gnome and so on. However on the next day when I tried to login for the first time, the login screen just comes back again and when I try it for a second time it just freezes. Can someone help me with this problem?


In advance thanks for help.


UPDATE: I switched back to lightdm and it works just fine. However I would still like to use gdm3 because I like it more. How could I do this?



You need to install your graphics drivers.


On your login page, press CTRL+ALT+F2


Enter your credentials and use the below commands (if you're using Nvidia graphics card)


sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install nvidia-390

If you're using some other graphics card then use


sudo ubuntu-drivers devices

to find out your recommended driver - as suggested by Joe.


No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...