Tuesday, September 13, 2016

dual boot - Grub Rescue When USB Stick Not Inserted

Okay, I did something really sly, thinking I knew all the ins and outs.



I got a great school laptop with Windows 7 Pro on it. Didn't like it. So I installed Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 64 bit onto an 8GB flash drive (Sandisk). No problem.



I wanted this to be CLEAN CUT and UNNOTICEABLE for when I return the laptop on January 1st when I graduate.



Having the USB drive in means I go to Grub2 bootloader. Not having it in (trying to just boot into Win 7) gives me a Grub rescue. That's pretty noticeable.



I'm not necessarily saying I want to "delete/uninstall" Grub2.




I just want this laptop to boot normally if the USB drive isn't found. To just go straight to Windows and boot from the internal drive.



If I do need to end up uninstalling Grub, can I have a simple, dumbed down answer?
I'm pretty good with computers, but I chose Ubuntu because it's what my one friend calls "easy" Linux. It's more user friendly. So when it comes to Grub, I'm pretty lost.



I tried doing this: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GrubHowto/ChangeDefaultOS



I get the following error in the terminal:
"cp: cannot stat ‘/boot/grub/menu.lst’: No such file or directory"




Please help! I love Ubuntu, and that's why I'm using it for school and work purposes instead of Win 7.
I just would like to return the school's laptop without any "damage" done to it. I've obviously never experienced this issue before because I've never had to return any of my computers that I put Ubuntu onto.



Help is greatly appreciated! I know it's a while until January but I didn't want to wait until the last minute for this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...