Wednesday, September 14, 2016

14.04 - Preseeding 3.16 hardware enablement kernel requires manual update-initramfs




I'm preseeding a 14.04 Trusty install, on a machine which requires a driver fix from the 3.16 kernel, which is the one which goes with 14.10 Utopic. The easiest way to get this kernel is to install the corresponding hardware enablement stack:



http://www.ubuntuupdates.org/package/canonical_kernel_team/trusty/main/base/linux-generic-lts-utopic



When I add the PPA and install the package after installation, it works out fine. However, when I add linux-generic-lts-utopic to the pkgsel/include line in my preseed, I get a kernel panic on first boot into the installed system (happens in Parallels and on the actual hardware). It turns out that I have to use the GRUB menu to first boot the default 3.13 kernel, and then run:



sudo update-initramfs -c -k 3.16.0-17-generic
sudo update-grub



After doing this, it can boot 3.16 just fine.



This seems super janky. Is this a regression in the hardware enablement stack, or a problem with the installer, or something missing from preseed?



Thanks.



For a generalized version of the hack, do:



update-initramfs -c -k $(ls /lib/modules -1 | tail -1)

update-grub


This can be done directly from the late_command, or via a script that the late command invokes.


No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...