Tuesday, September 6, 2016

grub2 - Can't Boot Windows (Gives "Repair Windows" Option)

I have a few extra hardrvies without anything on them. So about a week ago I created a "Live" Usb to see if my system was compatible.



After a week of testing and playing I liked it enough to install it (Ubuntu 13.10) and yesterday I installed it to a second hard drive, everything went OK but I think its good to note that Ubuntu installer said something along the lines of




"Ubuntu did not detect any other operating systems"


However I did have Win7(64bit) installed. I thought nothing of this at the time (as I am installing to a second drive).



Now I selected the bottom option,




  1. created a partition table,


  2. Partition off 70gbs for "/" (EXT4),

  3. 8GB for swap (80gb drive).



For boot loader I put it on the same drive as install. I did this because I did not want to




  • Interfere with the MBR and windows boot loader


  • I wanted to select it in the F12 menu of my bios (Select the drive
    too boot from)



  • I did not want Grub to replace WBL for multiple reasons (I hear
    its unstable, and Refer to letter the above point)




Then today, I wanted to boot into windows. I restart the computer, my BIOS goes to Windows (Like I wanted, no OS select) then windows says it needs to repair or start. I have tried both. The repair option goes into a loop of, the boot screen, loading windows files. Now start windows (Somehow) boots me into Linux.



When Linux starts It says it had a error, specifically a crash.



Also, I can view all my windows files too! My data is intact!




It is also good to note my specs:




  • EvGA GT 640

  • i5 3.1 Quad

  • 8gb Ram

  • Gigabyte mother board w/ 3-D Bios



4 Drives:





  • 160gb SATA NTFSWindows)


  • 80gb SATA NTFS(Renders ect)


  • 80GB SATA EXT4(Linux)


  • 1TB SATA NTFS(Games, Fraps records)



Now it seems while I was trying NOT to screw up my windows boot loader I seem to have.

No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...