Sunday, July 2, 2017

NVIDIA drivers for Ubuntu 15.04 GTX 970 black loading screen



I can't seem to get anything to work on Ubuntu.
I've struggled with everything that goes into installing, update and maintain the operation system and software.



But I've manage to get it installed and rebooted once.




Now I want my NVIDIA drivers for GeForce GTX 970 but this has me confused:



lspci | grep VGA
VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GM204 [GeForce GTX 970] (rev a1)


Because the computer overview says my graphics is "Gallium 0.4 on llvmpip (LLVM 3.6, 256 bits)"



I've tried most of the ways to install NVidia drivers:





  • .run file from GeForce website

  • Software Sources -> Additional Drivers

  • add-apt-repository ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa



I update everything and reboot. I'm expecting everything to work.



I'm greeted with the loading screen, but it's black instead of purple and frozen.

I can't exit this any other way than to shut down manually.



And I'v come to my last solution every time, reinstall Ubuntu from LiveCD/USB
My .Xauthority is own by me.
My sources.list is normal (I've messed up that one some times)



The nvidia driver should be v352 or v355 but both are not working.



I'm on a fresh installation of Ubuntu right now. I just restarted to install the Software Updates:





  • Vivid-security

  • Vivid-updates

  • Vivid-backports



I'd like a secure method to ensure I'm using my NVidia graphics card and I'd like to know where I can read the potential errors I might get.



Without any drivers:




lspci -k | grep -EA2 'VGA|3D' show:



VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GM204 [GeForce GTX 970] (rev a1)
Subsystem: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd Device 3670
Kernel driver in use: nouveau


"About this computer -> Overview" still says Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe.



With drivers (in rescue mode as I can't get past loading screen):




`lspci -k | grep -EA2 'VGA|3D'` show:

VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GM204 [GeForce GTX 970] (rev a1)
Subsystem: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd Device 3670
Kernel driver in use: nvidia


The following configuration is working for me. Ubuntu 14.04 + Kernel 4.1 + nvidia-346 ( i7-6700K + Nvidia GTX 9700 + Dual UHD Monitors ).




The driver was installed via the edgers ppa in root shell ( select advanced on boot and reboot with networking enabled).



I have tried Kernel 4.2/4.3 but neither worked.



I have tried nvidia -33x, -35x and 340 with kernel 4.1. None of them works.


No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...