Saturday, December 10, 2016

boot - Might have deleted kernel - where do I install grub?

Ubuntu 14.04 LTS


I might have deleted the Kernel whilst trying to delete 10GB of old kernels. I haven't switched the PC off yet.


@Karel suggests an answer in a virtually identical question: Might have deleted kernel, but haven't shut off computer yet but it is vague on how to find grub (boot menu) device. I don't have enough reputation to comment there.


His answer:


sudo apt-get install --reinstall linux-image-generic
sudo grub-install /dev/sdX
sudo update-grub

Disks program shows that, I have one SSD (device sda), split thus:


|             | Extended Partition |             |
| | Partition 3 | |
| Filesystem | 129GB | Filesystem |
| Partition 1 |____________________| Partition 2 |
| 25GB EXT4 | Filesystem | 102GB FAT |
| | Partition 5 | |
| | 129GB EXT4 | |

The 25GB is Linux (bootable); the 129GB is Linux and the 102GB is W95 FAT32


So I'm guessing that I need to replace the middle command with either sudo grub-install /dev/sda or sudo grub-install /dev/sda1 When @Karel suggests to enter the device name, I don't know if he means me to include the partition number.

No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...