Wednesday, May 25, 2016

usb creator - Create OpenSUSE bootable USB stick from Ubuntu?




OpenSUSE documentation (https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Live_USB_stick) explicitly states that unetbootin wont work. They recommend using ImageWriter, but I haven't found a version for Ubuntu.



How can I create a bootable USB stick for OpenSUSE from Ubuntu?




@fossfreedom Note that I'm not trying to create a live USB stick. I
just want to boot from the USB stick to install openSUSE. I read those
instructions but it wasn't clear to me if they applied to the
installation image as well as the live image. – becko 10 mins ago





Yes, those instructions do apply to installation USB creation. You will need to know the block device path of your USB stick. Use lsblk to find that out. In this example I am using /dev/sdb but it could be anything else.



Ensure the usb stick is unmounted with



udisksctl unmount --block-device /dev/sdb


and burn the iso image to the USB




dd if=/path/to/downloaded.iso of=/dev/sdX bs=4M


For instance,



dd if=/home/xieerqi/Desktop/openSUSE-Leap-42.1-DVD-x86_64.iso of=/dev/sdb bs=4M  


The command will take a long time to complete, so, be patient. You can use this




dd if=/home/xieerqi/Desktop/openSUSE-Leap-42.1-DVD-x86_64.iso of=/dev/sdb bs=4M  && zenity --info --text="DONE"


to show a notification when the burning is over.


No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...