Sunday, May 29, 2016

apt - What can I do if a repository/PPA does not have a Release file?


When updating, I get the following error message:


W: The repository 'http://ppa.launchpad.net/mc3man/trusty-media/ubuntu xenial Release' does not have a Release file.

Here, I find another statement on this error: How can I fix a 404 Error when using a PPA or updating my package lists?


This recommends removing certain PPAs; and, I'm not sure if I should do that since it might mean not getting the updates that I need.


Is this what I should do?



The PPA you've added does not support your version of Ubuntu. For example, the ppa:mc3man/trusty-media PPA is only for Trusty (Ubuntu 14.04) only (trusty-media). Obviously, it has no files for Xenial (16.04). You can check the PPA's Launchpad page to see which versions of Ubuntu are supported.


I'd suggest the following:



  • Remove the PPA for older releases. For this example: sudo ppa-purge ppa:mc3man/trusty-media



  • If there's a PPA for your version, add it. In this case, there's a PPA for Xenial: mc3man/xerus-media. You can add it using sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mc3man/xerus-media



No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...