Tuesday, May 31, 2016

dual boot - How to install Ubuntu GNOME on my HP Pavilion UEFI-based laptop running Windows 10

I bought this laptop over a year ago and it came with Windows 8 at the time, but I've since updated it to Windows 10 using the Insider Preview program. I would like to install Ubuntu GNOME 15.10 alongside Windows, but I've never dual-booted Linux and Windows on a UEFI system. Normally, I've delt with PCs that have BIOSs instead. I set aside 80GBs of unallocated space for the installer to use.



I've got a live USB set up and when I boot it up, I choose the UEFI version of the USB drive. I don't know much about the UEFI system, so I figured that would be the right way to go.




When I open the installer and I get to the Installation Type section, I don't know whether to choose Install Ubuntu GNOME alongside Windows Boot Manager, or choose Something Else. I've tried looking on multiple sources via Google searches, but the results are not consistent, so I'm not definitively sure which way is the best way to go.



Here's a picture of all the partitions I've got installed in GParted.



Partitions



P.s: I've also disabled Fastboot in Windows.

No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...