Monday, May 23, 2016

transfer - Migrating server configuration to new machine

I have a VServer (Ubuntu 14.04) with some problems, where reinstalling the OS was suggested here and also by the hoster.


I was planing to clone all the configuration, installed packages etc. except the few faulty ones of course. I found a lot of instruction how to migrate different parts of the OS but no full how to/script. Since I'm very suprised about this fact I was wondering if somebody knows one.


It should include:



  • users

  • home

  • /etc

  • installed

  • packages

  • /var/www

  • /var/vmail

  • /opt

  • databases: mysql and postgresql

  • etc.


limitations are:



  • the servers do not have the same hardware

  • i can't install packages on the source system

  • only ssh access

No comments:

Post a Comment

11.10 - Can't boot from USB after installing Ubuntu

I bought a Samsung series 5 notebook and a very strange thing happened: I installed Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb pen drive but when I restarted (...